Monday, March 28, 2005

Social security - why is GWB ignoring the obvious solution?

Some of my child-free (that opposed to child-less) friends will scream, but it has to be said: why is George Bush ignoring the obvious, pro-life solution to his supposed "social security crisis"? That is, wait for it... more babies. I mean, the Christian Right should be asking him why he is pushing some ill-defined massively expensive financial solution involving money changers, debt, fund pushers and intangible results when all they have to do is get down and procreate?

It's not that I believe rampant procreation is the right solution (basically I think its the last thing we need), I'm firmly behind adjusting taxes, payments, benefits and doing some good old fashioned borrowing to keep the fund on an even keel until demographics sort themselves out. But I am wondering why we're not hearing a chorous of "lets boom like its the sixties" from Bush's supposedly pro-life base that he keeps pandering to at every opportunity.

One other alternative would be massive immigation - say add twenty million extra working age, social security paying immigrants. If I recall correctly the US already has about ten million of them under the radar not paying taxes at the moment, if it would only just legalize them and bring in a few more...

No comments: