Sunday, June 24, 2007

Notariety for O-Town

One of my biggest gripes about living in the USA (spare me the "so move somewhere else" quips - you're boring me!) is the f**ked up health care, or rather health insurance situation. I was really happy to see that Michael Moore had tackled this issue with his new movie "Sicko", even happier that unlike Fahrenheit 911 it is getting universal, bi-partisan acclaim, and ecstatic that my home town Oakand (aka "O-Town") is getting previews of the movie projected on the head quarters of Kaiser. Like all HMOs Kaiser gets some "special" attention in Sicko.

I'm event more pleased to point out that Moore makes a point of telling us that Kaiser, as a corporation is legally obliged to maximize profit for its shareholders, yes there is a supreme court ruling to that effect, Kaiser could get sued if they didn't put the dollar before your health. Not the kind of behavior you want from an company that is supposedly trying to give you health care. As Moore tells us frequently - profit is not something that has any business being considered in conjunction with health care.

No comments: