Sunday, September 17, 2006

Flying on 9/11

Last week I flew to Canada via Las Vegas on September 11th. I didn't even think about the date until that morning but when we got to Oakland airport it was obvious it had had an effect on the flying public. We drove directly to the terminal drop-off point and parked with no waiting at all, something I haven't done there except very, very late at night. Then I went straight to the check in desk where the guy told me they had had only about 50 customers since the afternoon. I walked straight to the security check with not a soul in front of me. In fact I got there so fast I completely forgot to take my shoes off. Still the security guys were making full use of the extra time - I was given a complete shake down - they X-rayed my checkin baggage separately (don't they do that anyway?), poked my feet presumably to make sure they weren't fake, and searched all my bags. Once onboard although I had almost the worst seat on the plane - non-reclining last row seat next to the toilet - there was fortunately about twenty empty seats in front of me. All that made for a pretty relaxing flight into Toronto and I didn't once think about the plane being hijacked and crashing into a building...

No comments: