Saturday, August 18, 2007

Power to the people - but not in my backyard

It kills me that I live in Oakland which has a major Pacific rim port with a lot of wide open flat industrial land and no one is doing something like this wind generator project, in England of all places. Oakland isn't in the Dakotas but we still get plenty of a wind and as the Port of Oakland is a major polluter and had a profit of over $200 million last year I can think of no better way for them to make amends.

Oakland has a really bad rap, and doesn't have much to be proud of. I can think of nothing better to see when driving off the Bay Bridge as you enter the East Bay then some whopping great turbines twirling in the breeze generating power. Since the Port is already knee deep in towering cranes over 300 feet high I can't imagine that a few dozen turbines would hurt anyone and they integrate perfectly into the existing land use, and provide power exactly where its needed. A project like this would really put Oakland on the map - it might even make those crunchy granola types in Berkeley jealous.

No comments: