Saturday, April 12, 2003

Keep your filthy hands off my tax dollars...

Today I learned about someone who worked for my former employer and handed in their resignation the day the US went to war with Iraq. Although I don't believe his protest is the most effective way to change our governments policy, I do believe he is making a very principled stand against use of his tax dollars to pay for government endeavours he does not agree with. Naturally the primary use he disagrees with is the 50% or so that goes on our military spending, but the list is much, much longer than just that.

I never realised it but there is apparently quite the sub-culture of people who are finding ways to avoid paying taxes out of principle. Thats not to be confused with the sub-culture of people who are just out to defraud the government, are cheapskates, or one of the other kind of legalized tax-dodgers the million plus off-shore registered companies.

Its that latter group of tax-dodgers who I'm mostly interested in doing something about and I believe we need to do anyhting that we can to reduce the $70 billion or so they filch away from the government so that average citizens have to pay on their behalf, or the services lost because of them, out of their own pocket. Why even GWB has stated he thinks that would be a good idea, but of course he never did stand by his word (shocker) and put his money where his mouth is.

If it was up to me I'd put the entire $70 billion a year, yes every last cent, right back into education, libraries, publicly funded TV and radio, and most importantly, making elections 100% public funded. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a flaming liberal complainer, after all don't those big companies need all that money to keep paying the CEO's obscene bonus? Silly me, just what was I thinking, I must have been smoking crack.

No comments: