Monday, June 16, 2003

My daddy drinks because I cry

Some people may have noticed that one side effect of the recent economic downtown has been somewhat of a baby boom. Or maybe its just my imagination, or just a result of the age of all my friends. Either way it sure seems like everyone I know decided they'd give the old economy a boost with some extra consumers.

For me, or rather my girlfriend, this has resulted in a distinct uptick in the number of baby shower invitations appearing in the mail. Coming from England I wasn't too aquainted with the concept of baby showers until I crossed the big wide pond also know as The Atlantic Ocean. In England we tend to wait until after the birth to wet the baby's head - both in the font of the local church and at the bar of the local pub.

Fortunately I've managed to avoid all but one baby shower so far. I don't quite remember the excuses but after my first and last experience of the baby shower experience I can honestly say I think I've had my fill for a life time. I've nothing against people getting together to celebrate a couples imminent and relatively permanent loss of freedom, not to mention sleep and cash. But turning the whole event into an obscene "proto-consumer" welcoming ceremony with enough booty to knock over a mothercare saleswoman (sorry, British joke there) and enough credit card debt to fund a small Middle Eastern invasion, well frankly it just aint my cup of tea.

So I was rather happy, after a rather circuitious surfing spree, to come across a web site that offers among other things, a rather unique line in baby apparel. No not "baby-Tees", but Tees for babies. What better wake up call for the soon to be parents than a baby T-shirt pronouncing My Daddy drinks because I cry? Or for the politically minded how about My IQ is higher than the Presidents? Or for the testosterone over-achieving baby I can kick your baby's ass!.

So be warned, if you invite me to your baby-shower I can promise you that the gift won't be coming off your list, unless you happened to register with T-Shirt Hell. And if you don't believe people actually buy these shirts, think again....

No comments: