Tuesday, May 04, 2004

My mum always said...

Courtesy of South Knox Bubba I came across this rather entertaining table of State average IQ vs. Presidential voting. I have to admit I take it with a pinch of salt, I'm not sure how much weight I put on the reliability of such a thing as average IQ but you must admit, it does seem to show a high degree of correlation.

However I must remind you that correlation does not mean there is a causal link between IQ and voting preference. Even so, I find it hard not to be reminded that I believe there is a connection between lower education standards and less critical thinking. Which means a public that is more susceptable to mass media election propoganda or brainwashing (call it what you will). Which means the party spending the least on education and most on election advertising will have a distinct advantage when it comes to maintaining dominance in power.

I think it would be interesting to see a state by state break down of percentages in the recent poll about Iraq, al Qaeda funding and 9/11 involvement misconceptions. Again belief of disinformation and propoganda is required to keep the status quo in Washington where the Bush's intellectual elite vulcans are hiding out.

And the educated intellectuals who conspire to challenge and dissent? Just send them off the to the Gulag or Tuol Sleng - it worked for the Bolsheviks and the Khmer Rouge.

No comments: