Thursday, July 22, 2004

An open letter to MoveOnPac

Dear MoveOn PAC

I've contributed to several of your issue ads over the last year, and even ran a MoveOn event last weekend. However I'm contacting you to tell you I am not going to contribute to your "Debate" ad for two reasons. Firstly I feel its production quality isn't anything like on par with your other ads. Maybe this was intentional but to me frankly it looks cheesy and amateurish. Secondly and more importantly, even as a Kerry supporter I recognize the hypocrisy of painting Bush as responding to corporate interests and Kerry as someone who does not.

Kerry hasn't enjoyed anything like the populist financial support that Howard Dean got so even if its not obvious now, it is clear that he is also beholden to many "special interests", we just haven't heard much about them yet. These dependencies will no doubt show themselves sooner or later - even if only after election - and I don't think its at all appropriate to use the source of finances as a distinction between Bush and Kerry. While there may be some difference in where the money is coming from, I don't believe it is a strong enough justification for why Kerry is "better".

For many of those democrats contemplating holding their nose and voting for Kerry this November it will only serve to rub their noses in it. And if they feel that way then for those deserting Republicans and undecided voters you are hoping to attract - well this ad is almost certainly worthless and a waste of your supporters donations.

No comments: