Thursday, December 29, 2005

Why GNP growth doesn't make you happy

On the way home today I heard the follow - "for the fourth year running the median incomine in the USA has declined" and "over 50 percent of all Americans now earn less that they did in 2001". Why goes to show that GNP (Gross National Product) growth means zip to the average person in the street if income inequitity just keeps on getting, well, more unequal.

Which is why Bush can brag all he wants about how tax cuts have been good for the economy, but the truth is that the average person and the majority of all Americans are still worse off than they were four years ago. Unfortunately the average person still aspires to the unlikely event of making it big and joining that top 20% of all income earners who have managed to do better since 2001, or the top 1% who have been partying like its 1999 since 2001... The richer the rich get the more inspired the poor get to become like them. Yeah baby, strike me with lightening once, twice, three times.... I'm so lucky... hurt me more...

I know, I'm one supremely bitter and twisted mofo, but you did read the title of this blog right?

No comments: