Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Alistair Cooke, from America with Love

I learned tonight with much sadness that Alistair Cooke passed away today. He has been broadcasting "Letter from America" for 58 years now and that's much longer than my lifetime. I can remember my mother listening to his radio show since my earliest days and his voice has always been one of my strongest associations between Britain and the USA. In fact my earliest emails to my family from America were entitled "Letter from America".

Living in a flat overlooking Central Park he certainly enjoyed and shared a unique view of America few had the opportunity to enjoy. Speaking on his 3,000 broadcast he summized: "In America, the race is on between its decadence and its vitality, and it has lots of both." Well Alistair, I couldn't agree more. My hat is off to you and I'll soon be smoking a cigar and raising a glass in your honour and in thanks for all the letters.

No comments: