Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Security, my ass

As recent events in Spain go to show, there is simply no effective protection against random acts of violence*. As recent events in America go to show this country has become obsessed with "protecting" itself, ostensibly via a show of force and a show of enforcement. From "Homeland Security" to taking ones shoes off at the airport, all are intended to quell our paranoid fear and inspire loathing in those that would conspire to endanger our false sense of security.

So I was not the least surprised to travel to and from John Wayne Airport (Orange County, California) without ever having my identity checked. Yes, at my journey's start my drivers license was never asked for or looked at, and on my return it was asked for but not checked. In fact its authenticity received less scrutiny than the credit card of someone buying thee bucks worth of groceries at the local Safeway, not to mention the pathetic lack of credibility ensured by a drivers license. I mean, there are still states that don't even have photo on this most essential and more to the point trusted form of identification.

Okay, so I did have to pass through the compulsory vanguard of metal detectors, but as anyone should know, it is perfectly possible to construct not only a lethal cutting device, but also an entire gun from plastic. So it goes without saying I place as much faith in metal detectors for protecting me from evil doers as I do in a chocolate teapot for brewing my afternoon cuppa. If someone in TV land wants to make a real name for themselves then they should think about a new reality TV show. In it two competing teams are challenged to construct the most leathal weapon possible from random household items that will pass unnoticed through airport security. I guarantee you that even the most naivee team will be able to achieve this in short order, let alone your average and determined evil doer.

In fact all evidence seems to suggest that the major contributor to weapons being on board planes on 9/11 was in fact our old friend, or enemy, human error. With "red teams" smuggling guns and bombs on planes with an alarming success rate such an event was almost bound to happen if there was someone willing to exploit the weakness. However regardless of human error such as I encountered this weekend, what do they say? Where there's a will there's a way. So the only real way to ensure safety is to remove the will and that's what these folks "in control" just don't get. Until they do I'll be the first to volunteer to earn my future air miles with "Naked Airlines" where everyone goes "au natural" and let all the paranoid fly by "Full Metal Jacket Airlines" where everyone goes fully armed "avec les weapons aux mass destruction".

*I'll refrain from using the subjective and ill defined term "terrorism"

No comments: