Saturday, August 21, 2004

Racism European style

The British are notorious for their wickedly satirical sense of humour - something that the Americans notoriously just "don't get". A grand example of this, and perhaps the funniest thing I heard in the whole three weeks I spent in Europe was "the only acceptable form of racism is now anti-Americanism". Indeed I almost spat my warm beer half across the room when my mate said it.

The irony of course is that not only is it so funny because it's true, it's also patheticaly sad and un-funny because it's true. Being laughed at is the thing that drives Americans mad with fervent patriotic rage - how dare those impertinent pompous old Europeans poke fun at them! Well America, as they say "there's no smoke without fire", so as long as American remains the arrogant super-bully of a super-power it currently is they will continue to enjoy making you the butt of their jokes.

No comments: