Sunday, July 24, 2005

Technical interlude: now faster, stronger, longer

As of today instead of being hosted on my server at home with its piddly 600kbps upstream link, this blog is now hosted with a company called DreamHost. So hopefully you should find pages loading much faster and thanks to a 140GB per month bandwidth quota there is less reason to fear the coming of the great SlashDot because that's about 4,000,000 page loads of your average 30k blog entry. If I ever get that many page hits in a month the Google ad revenue should more than compensate for the bandwidth overages. Finally with over 2Gb of storage I should be able to keep blogging from a long, long, time...

I heard about DreamHost through a friend and although their management UI is a little funky they do have some great features, especially an automated backup system that makes it easy to recover your files. Combined with their base package including 3 domains and much more bandwidth and storage than comparably priced hosting I'm pretty pleased so far. The only thing I'll ding them on is spam filtering for email - it doesn't seem to be that configurable and just doesn't work the way I like it (I'm a realtime blackhole list kind of guy if you must know). However, since no one ever sends me email at this domain I don't really care, and I'm going to assume it will get better in the future because ultimately every hosting company finds that spam is their problem to solve as it eats up their bandwidth and profits.

No comments: