Sunday, November 06, 2005

Memories #1

I remember standing on our porch in the depths of winter and my father pointing out a "falling star" in the sky. I was very young and as I watched it move through the sky it really bothered me, "What happens if it falls on us?" I wondered.

All grown up I now know it wasn't a "falling" or "shooting" star which are caused by meteorites burning up (hopefully) in the upper atmosphere. It was almost certainly satellite since meteorites, even slow moving ones, don't stay up in the sky long enough for someone to call you to the outside and show it to you. In fact on reflection I wonder if I remember this event clearly - my father clearly new the difference between a satellite and a meteorite in the sky. Perhaps he told me it was a satellite and explained it wasn't a "falling star" and I later fretted about the existence of falling stars until I knew better myself.

Of course the reality is that while meteorites are not stars, sometimes they do reach the earth, and as such might fall on us. While most of the earth's surface is ocean, and most of the ground is uninhabited there have been many cases of property damage by meteorites reaching terra firma. So far I haven't heard of anyone being killed by a meteorite though I'll be willing to bet it has happened.

So in a twisted kind of way, as a bright and starry eyed kid, I was right to worry about falling stars landing on me!

No comments: