Friday, September 05, 2003

Iraqi murder rate soars

In my blog entry What price the American dream? I predicted a sky high murder rate in Iraq compared to pre-invasion times. This is one case where I'm unhappy to be right, but recent reports indicate more than 30 murders per day in the streets of Baghdad alone, compared with 48 per month last year. This is one civilian death toll that no one in Washington is talking about. However civilians killed due to the cival disorder caused by GWB's removal of law and order are no different from the civilian deaths before the war "ended". This is a story that has recently vanished from MSNBC, and I could not find it reported elsewhere in the US mainstream media. Having just sat through the first half of the movie "1984" and watched Winston Smith re-writing history in the newspapers at the behest of Big Brother, my mind boggles...

No comments: